Government Grants for Entrepreneurs
The Entrepreneurs’ Programme are government grants for entrepreneurs which give Australian businesses quality advice and support to innovate and grow. It provides experienced industry advisers and facilitators to help entrepreneurs, start-ups and small to medium businesses improve competitiveness and productivity, and seek growth opportunities.
The programme offers four distinct network and business assistance elements: Accelerating Commercialisation, Business Management Advisors, Incubator Support and Innovation Connections. Support is generally in the form of expert advisors and guidance, although the Accelerating Commercialisation component can yield up to $1 million in matched funding to eligible applicants.
What are the four Entrepreneurs' Programme elements:
- Accelerating Commercialisation — this grant assists small to medium businesses bring novel new products, processes and services to market, primarily with expert guidance and connections to find commercialisation solutions, and secondly with up to $1 million in matched financial assistance for eligible activities.
- Business Management — experienced Business Advisers and Facilitators review operations, including direction, strategy, growth opportunities and supply chain. They provide strategic advice for improvement, and implementation support.
- Incubator Support — assists new and existing Incubators to improve the prospects of Australian start-ups achieving commercial success in international markets, through helping them develop their business capabilities.
- Innovation Connections — experienced Innovation Facilitators work with your business to identify knowledge gaps that are preventing your business growth. The outcome is an Innovation Facilitation Report.
What are the eligibility criteria?
Each element of government programs for entrepreneurs sets distinct eligibility criteria.
1. Accelerating Commercialisation:
- An eligible corporation that is non-tax exempt and registered for GST
- A Commercialisation Office or Eligible Partner Entity
- Have a combined annual turnover of less than $20 million for each of the 3 prior years
2. Business Management:
- A non-tax exempt company registered for GST that has operated in Australia for the last 3 consecutive years
- Have an annual turnover between $1.5 and $100 million (less for businesses in remote Australia or the NT)
- Companies that operate in, or are an enabling technology or service of, one of the following growth sectors:
- Accelerating Commercialisation
- Food and Agribusiness
- Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals
- Mining Equipment, Technology and Services
- Oil, Gas and Energy Resources
3. Incubator Support:
- Have an ABN and be an incorporated entity, a trustee on behalf of a trust, a not-for-profit, a publicly funded research
organisation or local government
- Be an existing incubator or establishing a new incubator
4. Innovation Connections:
- The same criteria as Business Management support
- Offers incubator support through matched funding up to $500,000
- Business management support and expert advice with matched grants up to $20,000
- Specialist support to connect you with researchers for collaborative innovation with matched funding of up to $50,000